Donald William Carter
(206) 682-8813 (Office-Seattle)
Born in Everett, Washington in 1949, Don attended Everett High School, graduating in 1967. He then graduated from the University of Puget Sound in 1971, after attending Nijenrode University in the Netherlands for one year, then from the University of Baltimore Law School in 1974.
Mr. Carter was admitted to practice by the Washington State Bar Association in 1974, and was admitted to practice in the United States District Court, Western District in 1976.
Mr. Carter served on, or is currently serving on, the following committees for the Washington State Bar Association: Continuing Legal Education Committee (served as Chairperson); Lawyers' Assistance Program; Fund for Client Protection; Board of Bar Examiners; and Inter-Professional Relations. Mr. Carter currently serves as a disciplinary hearing officer.
Mr. Carter has also spoken at Washington State Trial Lawyers continuing legal education seminars and conventions on trial techniques and also contributed to the WSTLA Pleadings and Motions Handbook, edited by Brad Fulton.
Mr. Carter has represented clients in numerous cases where damages of over $1,000,000 were recovered.
Served as a Judge Pro-Tempore in the Everett District Court, the Evergreen District Court, and the Cascade District Court, hearing both civil and criminal matters. Has also served on numerous community boards including: Archbishop Thomas J. Murphy High School Board of Directors; Bethany of the Northwest Foundation Board of Directors; Evergreen Treatment Center Board of Directors; and Hat Island Homeowners Association Board of Directors.
Don is an avid outdoorsman, and has also served as a representative for Ducks Unlimited on the Snohomish County Wetlands Conservation Committee, which developed the long range plan for the preservation of the Snohomish River estuary.
Mr. Carter was also a Founder of the Everett Chapter of Ducks Unlimited and has helped that chapter raise over 1.5 million dollars in 31 years for the conservation of wildlife and waterfowl throughout Canada and the United States.
Serves as the senior road captain and safety officer for the North Cascades Harley Owners Group.
Don lives in Everett with his wife, Marla. They have one adult son, Hal.
Don's leisure activities include riding one of his Harleys, waterfowl hunting, and playing golf.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Plaintiff's Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Washington, 1974
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1977
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. - 1974
- University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington
- B.A. - 1971
- WSTLA Litigation Form Handbook-2 Volume Set (Contributing Author), WSTLA, 2005
- Demonstrative Evidence in Head Injury Cases, WSTLA, 2006
- Construction Site Injuries-Third Party Liability, WSTLA, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, 1974 - 2008
- Washington State Trial Lawyer, Eagle Member, 1978 - 2008
- American Association for Justice, Sustaining Member, 1981 - 2008
- Western Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1994 - 2008
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Founding Member, 1980 - 2008
- Washington State Bar Association, Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee, October 1, 1999 - September 30, 2000
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Continuing Legal Education Committee, January 1, 1996 - September 30, 1999
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Hearing Officer Panel, October 1, 2003 - September 30, 2004
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Hearing Officer Panel, October 22, 2004 - September 30, 2004
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Public Information & Media Relations, October 1, 2000 - September 30, 2004
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Lawyer Assistance Program Committee, October 1, 1998 - September 30, 1999
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Lawyers Fund for Client Protection, October 1, 2001 - September 30, 2004
- Washington State Bar Association, Member, Lawyers Fund for Client Protection, January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008
- Washington State Bar Association, Litigation Law Section, Member, October 1, 2008 - September 30, 2009
- Washington State Bar Association, Litigation Law Section, Member, 2004
- Washington State Bar Association, Litigation Law Section, Member, 2005
- Washington State Trial Lawyers, Co-Chair, Round Table, 2006
Past Employment Positions
- Donald W. Carter, Attorney at Law, Attorney-Solo Proprietor, 1974 - 1982
- Cogdill & Carter, Partner, 1982 - 1998
- Donald W. Carter, Sole Proprietor, 1999 - 2001
- Carter & Fulton, P.S., Shareholder-President, 2001
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Snohomish County Wetlands Conservation, 1987 - 1988
- Member, Hat Island Board of Directors, 1992 - 1996
- Board of Directors, Evergreen Manor, 1984 - 1992
- Board Member, Bethany Foundation, 1994 - 1996
- Board of Directors, Arch Bishop Murphy High School, 1999 - 2006
- Founder/Director, Milltown Sailing Association, 1980 - 1986
- Founder/Chairman Committee Member, Ducks Unlimited Everett Chapter, 1976 - 2008
- Golf Tournament Committee Co-Chair, Volunteers of America, 2001 - 2003
- Senior Road Captain Group Riding Safety Instructor, North Cascade Harley Owners Group, 2002 - 2008
- Judge Pro Tem - Cascade District Court - 1977 - 1988
- Judge Pro Tem - Everett District Court - 1977 - 1988
- Sigma Chi